[openbeos] Re: ATI Radeon Graphics driver

  • From: Tim de Jong <tjadejong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:54:30 +0200

Hey,

nah you were right, taking it out and putting the card back did the trick; it's now working perfectly again. However, I noticed what's wrong with the current ATI Radeon driver. Previously, DVI output worked fine on my Radeon 9700pro but after the Radeon X... patches applied I only get a black screen. The analog connection seems to still work OK though, I connected the screen and Haiku booted normally showing me the beautiful blue background ;)

regards,

Tim

P.s. If any dev needs me to beta test new versions of the radeon driver, I'd do so gladly!

Urias McCullough schreef:
On 3/25/07, *Tim de Jong* <tjadejong@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:tjadejong@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    No, the last version I installed was a build from last week, that did
    not work. I'll try again next week to install a current build and
    see if
    it'll work with my radeon, that is, if it's not beyond repair. If
    problems persist I will try to open a bug report; did not know how
    to do
    it up till now...

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post - there shouldn't technically be any way that a driver can "break" a video card (other than maybe overclocking and burning it up right?)

What I suppose may have happened is that the card was put into some state, and wasn't ever powered down completely (ATX motherboards are never truly OFF unless you have a toggle switch on your PSU, or physically unplug them)...

Otherwise, the card probably just failed on its own.

I could be wrong, of course, but I think if this was the case, there would be warnings all over the place about buying such fragile hardware and huge disclaimers on alternative OSes about their drivers potentially damaging hardware - along with some support pages on ATI/AMD's site about the possibility of this occurring if you don't use their drivers exclusively.