[haiku] Re: A little audio survey

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:19:52 -0700

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:38:51AM +0200, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> I am not able to produce glitches with HDA (as long as the serial output
> is turned off).
> I guess its buffer size is large enough - it has been developed
> primarily on Haiku, anyway.

There's always one more thing...  I finally left my machine running with
the large buffer long enough for the audio to awaken (took about half an
hour this time) and ran my ToneProducer test.  Like you I was absolutely
unable to hear any glitches, however hard I waggled windows around.
*However*, the test text output still showed countless 'buffer late'
messages, and Cortex actually showed latency increasing.  (I'm using
my patched libmedia, which helps keep latency within bounds.)

So I stand by my thesis that a sufficiently long buffer will mask the
blackouts (because the mixer can catch up), but they still occur
(on a single-core machine anyway).

        -- Pete --