[haiku] Re: A little audio survey

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:22:34 -0700

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:38:51AM +0200, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >                                     wonder if the silence only happens
> > on single-core units? Axel -- what's yours?
>
> I have a quad core where this happens.

Well... that scotches that theory then.  So if Sean is not getting a hiatus,
and you are, what the heck is the difference?

> I am not able to produce glitches with HDA (as long as the serial output
> is turned off).
> I guess its buffer size is large enough - it has been developed
> primarily on Haiku, anyway.

(... or my thought that multicore might protect from glitches reaching
the audio chain...)

I took a look at the HDA source, and I see that the buffer size is set
so that its period is a little under 1/20 sec (2048 frames at 44100 fps
-- adjusted for different frame rates).  Experimentally the latency
at the mixer (before glitches) is essentially twice the buffer period
-- I assume because of the one-buffer delay I remember being mentioned --
so I guess HDA users should see a latency of ~100 msec.  [And that's
rather heavy for me!]

Be nice to get some data points from others... Anybody?

        -- Pete --