[haiku] Re: "30 Days With Haiku" from LINUX FORMAT magazine

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 01:18:18 +0100 CET

> > Didn't read through yet, but the few things I noticed seems to
> > imply he
> > didn't use an alpha image with the optional packages and had to
> > install
> > things by himself...
> > Hopefully when R1/alpha is out he'd like it more :)
> >
> Nice read. Any I got stuck at the same place: no internet. And
> VirtualBox disallowed me to use a network share so I had been stuck.
> No

Networking works in QEMU and vmware, there is no reason it wouldn't
there too...
What NIC does it emulare ?
Or do you mean sharing files via SMB from the host ?

> NetPositive or even a Links just to get some file to your system. And

There is links as an optional package, you just need an image that has
them installed.
In fact if you put all optional packages you get 3 browsers (links,
NetSurf, Firefox).
I should probably comment out Links now...

> used back then an image straight from the haiku website. Not that I

But note the default image is meant at testing and finding bugs, so
more developers.

> complain, I'm looking into the alpha images since I'm interested to
> see
> where this goes especially since I always had desire to port my stuff
> also to BeOS if possible but at least a NetPositive in some temporary
> directory used only until the real puppy is in place would be
> helpful.

The alpha image does have Firefox and NetSurf IIRC.

> Reminds me that I need to once check out again how the development
> progressed. I'm just not daring to install these on a spare partition
> on
> my developer systems... I'm running cutting edge hardware :P

It's actually the best way to fix possible bugs :P

François.