[haiku] Re: "30 Days With Haiku" from LINUX FORMAT magazine

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:03:48 -0800

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Jorge G. Mare <jorge.g.mare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> LINUX FORMAT Magazine published a 4 page article about Haiku in its
> November 2008 issue ("30 Days With Haiku," by Graham Morrison).

Thanks for posting that Jorge!

Interesting article...

It was a little bit painful to read some of the experiences, and I
personally find this enlightening to heard what it's like for someone
who doesn't really know what to expect - first impressions mean a lot
;)

It's also refreshing to know that at least some of the pain Paul
experienced is already being alleviated - for example the pre-alpha
images already have Firefox installed, and there is the new Welcome
documentation which should help users get going a little quicker.

One thing that I gathered from this article is - while the experience
was "refreshing" - it seems the author didn't necessarily take away
anything "wow!" from the experience (or at least, nothing was really
mentioned that stood out). I wonder, for example, if the reviewer had
much chance to play with live queries and meta-data. What other types
of things make Haiku stand out amongst other desktop-class OSes?
Perhaps we should emphasize these in our welcome documentation :)

- Urias