[haiku-web] Re: Fwd: [Website feedback] "Not allowed to request a new password"

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:00:19 -0800

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 02:32 +0100, Jonas Sundström wrote:
> "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Personally, I think that a no-tolerance stance is the
> > best to deter future temptations. However, if the
> > consensus is different, feel free to reinstate the account.
>
> A less immediately harsh alternative is to lock the thread
> in question and keep some count of transgressions by that
> user. Perhaps one that shows in their profile and post
> header. 15 minutes of shame.

Locking a whole thread would be like penalizing everyone because of the
misdeeds by a single person. I don't think that would be a good thing to
do.

In principle, I am not particularly opposed to Matt's three strikes
policy. However, as an admin, I don't want to carry the burden of having
to enforce such a policy (ie., counting strikes). If somebody else takes
care of it, that's fine with me.

I still think that automatically blocking an account, while harsh, is
the most effective warning. I do agree that a warning along the lines of
"Posting links to warez will automatically qualify your account for
being blocked" prominently displayed in the comment form would be a good
and fair thing to have; I could add that if you want.

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki