[haiku-web] Re: CSS notice boxes challenge

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:08:20 -0700

Howdy,

Charlie Clark wrote:
Am 17.06.2008 um 03:16 schrieb Jorge G. Mare:

...which relies on a combination of JS & CSS.

I thought you wanted as pure a CSS solution as possible?

It's my fault; I did not articulate this very well.

I am looking at this from the frond end POV. From that perspective, I would like to be able to wrap the text between tags (ie., a CSS <div>) that will render the text in a box with rounded corners in a color and with an icon specific to the box type.

I really don't care how it's done in the backend (whether it uses PHP/JS/etc.), as long as the front end is simple enough, and the solution works reliably across the board of browsers (or at least downgrades graciously).

Yes, it works and it's easy to do the HTML for because the Javascript does all the work after the page has loaded. Unfortunately this means that boxes "flash" as are redrawn by Javascript. Personally I find this very annoying.

This example may seem particularly bad because there are three consecutive boxes that need to be rendered at the same time. I think that it should not be that bad in real usage though.

Compare this to adding border-radius: 1em; to your style and listening to the applause from users of Safari 3.0, Firefox 3.0 (isn't the big stampede due to start soon?) Opera 9.5 and presumably IE 8.0 when it gets released this autumn.

I just tested the CSS3 approach, and FF2 renders the boxes properly with rounded corners, but IE (up to 7.0) and Opera (9.5) don't. I do like this clean approach very much, so this is probably what I will try to use.

Any comments/suggestions on the icons and/or colors?

Cheers,

Koki