[haiku-web] Re: CSS notice boxes challenge

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 01:07:56 +0200

Am 16.06.2008 um 21:05 schrieb Jorge G. Mare:

Mea culpa Remi. :) I did not mean to imply that you have to use the same method or code as the source of inspiration that I pointed to. :)

Instead, I look at this from the user point of view, and I was hoping that there was a way where one could use something like...

or

...that would render the text inside a rounded corner box with a background color and icon (to the left of the text?) specific to the note type (warning/notice/etc.).

No, it's just not possible to do it that easily in CSS before CSS 3.0 You end up with fairly clunky div's defining a box to put a background image in with four rounded corners. It's okay for one a page but I suspect that several on a page would be noticeable. Do it in CSS 3.0 and browsers that support it will look great and the others will look okay - no rounded corners.

To be honest I don't think that it makes a great deal of difference whether the specification is finished, approved or simply plain esoteric. The W3C has proved to be an industry-friendly talking shop with much of the innovation and implementation coming from outside and only eventually getting the big W3C thumbs up to become "approved standard". I'm normally very conservative on these things but seeing as Microsoft has finaly realised it has to play catch up again, I'm confident that soon well over 30% of all users will be benefitting from CSS 3 stuff and more importantly the rest won't be suffering.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20