[haiku-web] Re: Authentication with Drupal

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:51:30 +0100

Hi Oliver,

2009/11/25 Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> - According to a discussion on drupal.org, the securesite module does not yet
> allow to specify which pages it protects, so it seems that *all* pages would
> require authentication. We'd have to check, but if this really is the case,
> then method 1 is no solution, I guess.
> If we would be able to require authentication just for restricted pages, the
> new method of authentication would require all users to change their password.

Are you sure about that? What happens for example with Trac is that
the code behind the /login URL checks for a parameter that Apache
passes if authentication is succesfull. It then sets a session cookie
so that the user is logged in. It does not require checking the login
credentials for every request.

I looked at the securesite documentation and its code, and it seems to
me that if we set up securesite to for example block the /user part of
our installation, it will then force authentication for that URL, and
if users go there (like they go there now to log in), they will get a
session cookie and they can access the rest of the site without any
problems.

The only thing is that registration is also hidden behind /user, so
maybe we should try to make an alias like /login and let securesite
'catch' that URL.