[haiku-inc] Re: Replacing OsDrawer - hosting platform for open source (and others?) Haiku applications

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 22:04:31 +0200

pulkomandy wrote:
[...]
> I'm wondering if Haiku, Inc. is willing to help with hosting a platform
> for all Haiku related projects. It requires hosting, either a Redmine
> instance like OsDrawer did, or some trac + svn/git based solution. The
> advantages are :
> Â* Give more visibility to the actively developped projects,
> Â* Archive source code from BeOS programs that were open sourced (I'll
> talk about it at the next BeGeistert, but a lot of former BeOS
> developpers would be happy to share their old code if someone asked).
> Make these project open for someone willing to take over development
> Â* Maybe also provide some visibility to projects hosted elsewhere
> through a frontend website.
>
> I could set up something by myself, mostly. However, I don't want this
> effort to rely only on my shoulders. If I stop working on it, I think
> it'd be better if Haiku, Inc. could take over and give it to some other
> dev so the website can continue living. This is a security to make sure
> the work don't get lost. Moreover, I hope Haiku, Inc. would pay for the
> web hosting.

I suppose paying for the hosting is the least of the problems. The big one is
finding someone to actively maintain the service. I don't see how Haiku, Inc.
could help in this respect. Unless there's someone (ideally multiple someones)
to do the admin job a new service wouldn't work out any better than OSDrawer
does.

ATM I'd simply recommend moving to one of the big hosters (SourceForge,
GitHub,...). Yes, there's no guaranty that they will live forever, but IMO the
odds are a lot better than for a Haiku specific alternative.

CU, Ingo