[haiku-inc] Replacing OsDrawer - hosting platform for open source (and others?) Haiku applications

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 22:46:04 +0200

Hi,
As yo umay know, the OsDrawer website is in pretty bad shape. It's not
really maintained anymore. For one, I've lost my password, and the link
to generate a new one and mail it is broken. I have no way to administer
some projects I have there.

Similar things hapenned some years ago to the BeUnited.org CVS. The
state of some bigger platforms is sometimes not much safer. Things like
OpenSVN disappeared, and some time ago BerliOS also almost closed.
Moreover, these bigger hosting platforms for open source projects make
it uneasy to locate Haiku software.

At this point, I'm now relying on my own home-hosted server for all my
Haiku related projects. This means whenever I take it offline, these
projects will get out of the internet, and if no one cared to archive
them, they'll become unavailable. Moreover, the visibility of this
server is very low.

I'm wondering if Haiku, Inc. is willing to help with hosting a platform
for all Haiku related projects. It requires hosting, either a Redmine
instance like OsDrawer did, or some trac + svn/git based solution. The
advantages are :
 * Give more visibility to the actively developped projects,
 * Archive source code from BeOS programs that were open sourced (I'll
talk about it at the next BeGeistert, but a lot of former BeOS
developpers would be happy to share their old code if someone asked).
Make these project open for someone willing to take over development
 * Maybe also provide some visibility to projects hosted elsewhere
through a frontend website.

I could set up something by myself, mostly. However, I don't want this
effort to rely only on my shoulders. If I stop working on it, I think
it'd be better if Haiku, Inc. could take over and give it to some other
dev so the website can continue living. This is a security to make sure
the work don't get lost. Moreover, I hope Haiku, Inc. would pay for the
web hosting.

Existing stuff online :
 * OsDrawer.net, which is sadly falling apart,
 * kallisty5 started working on a website called HaikuFire (ruby based,
IIRC), that was meant to showcase Haiku applications. This was taken
offline because it's too much work for one single guy to fill in the
database
 * My own "BeOS Archive" project ( http://pulkomandy.tk/~beosarchive/ )
is currently one attempt to track source for some BeOS apps. But I have
few time to spend on it and I'd like more exposure.

Thoughts on your side about this ?

--
Adrien / PulkoMandy