[haiku-inc] Re: Replacing OsDrawer - hosting platform for open source (and others?) Haiku applications

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:50:52 +0200

pulkomandy wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, the involvement of Haiku, Inc. in such a project would likely
> help bootstrapping it. But maybe it requires more thinking before
> entering that launching phase.

I'm not questioning the usefulness of a Haiku specific site. Such a site would
certainly be nice. I'm just wondering what you're asking of Haiku, Inc. ÂHaiku,
Inc. has two assets: money and the Haiku related trademarks. So they could fund
the hosting (I suppose a virtual root server would suffice initially and thus
hosting wouldn't be that expensive anyway) and allow the use of the trademarks.
However, they do not have a hidden reserve of manpower. So the main issue --
the long-term administration -- still remains. I don't think the approach you
seem to have in mind -- initiate the project and then have others take over --
is realistic ATM. But by all means, if you think it is, please go ahead. Just
don't expect Haiku, Inc. to provide you with things, they don't have --
administrators to take over. (*)

CU, Ingo

(*) I'm supposing you aren't suggesting to hire administrators.