[haiku-inc] Re: Donate-O-Meter update... again

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 09:36:30 -0400

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Denis Papin <ddcrespe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Don't worry, the Donate-O-Meter is a real joke. The sponsor page still does
not even show my name despite I have donated 80 euros/month for 10 months.

I offered my contribution to fix the page, but it was kindly denied.

Ridiculous and frustrating...

Denis is right. I'm sorry Denis!

Matt Madia had a complex and time consuming system that he ran solo
for many years to keep the donation meter and sponsor page up-to-date.
I have not been able to do the same and have barely been able to keep
the donation meter up-to-date. Probably other donators besides Denis
have not been properly recognized, and I'm sorry for that.

Clearly we do need more help in this. I have a system which can fetch
our donation information from PayPal using their API. It isn't perfect
but it is a start. I have a plan for making this more automated and I
don't think it will be that much more work.

To recognize donators we need to ask each person whether they wish to
be recognized. Matt did this over email, but it seems to me that we
could ask this when the person is donating. At least the email part
seems like an unnecessary extra step.

I assume it was done with email because there wasn't an easy way to
store this information. So maybe we need a simple "API" somewhere to
help with this. It could just be a database table and a PHP script
hosted on one of our Haiku servers. It can receive a POST with an
email and "I wish to be recognized" boolean, and store (or update)
this in the table. This would be called when someone donates or when
they set up a subscription. And then it could offer to list this
information with an index action. Of course all this needs to be
properly secured and set up so that only our servers can use this
service.

If we combine a list of emails with approvals for being recognized
from the above service with the donation information I have, we can
automatically build the sponsors page.

So to sum up, here are some things we need, if anyone wants to help:

1. Changes to our donations page so we can collect the "I wish to be
recognized" checkbox and send it to the service/page described above.
Right now this code is in a private Mercurial repo but I think most of
it could be put on GitHub.

2. A "service"/"REST API"/PHP page/whatever which can receive
POSTs/PUTs with the donator email and a boolean say whether they wish
to be recognized, and store this somehow. This service should also be
able to provide a list of this same information (probably in JSON.)
This should be secured in such a way that only certain clients can
connect.

3. Code in PHP or whatever which can combine a JSON list of {email,
recognize_me} with {name, email, total_donations_amount_this_year} to
build the sponsors page.

All the above is just something I came up with and probably has some
flaws, but I think the general idea is sound. The more we can automate
these processes, the smoother things will be, and hopefully our
donators will be happier and at least they will properly recognized
for their valuable donations.

--
Regards,
Ryan