[haiku-i18n] Re: User guide addressing localized apps/folders

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 18:56:29 +0200

Hi Patrik!

Patrik Gissberg, Sun, 15 May 2011 23:19:11 +0200:
> Den söndagen den 15:e maj 2011 skrev Humdinger:
> > In my mind it ideally should be transparent and interchangeable
> > throughout the system, including Terminal.
>
> If that is possible to do, then it sounds great. I think the
> discussion we had before Jonas started to work was that it could be
> difficult to make it work in scripts. Users can be confused and use
> German paths which won't work on a Swedish or English setup.

Yes. That's the problem on the commandline. Personally, I'm fine with
English folder names in Terminal, but you'd still have the contrast to
the translated names in the GUI. In any case, I don't think the user
guide refers to too many paths when dealing with Terminal.

> I would suggest that we wait until Deskbar and Tracker are 100%
> working (like your ticket about Expander which is a missing feature).
> It's better to finish what's been started before starting on
> something
> new.

Whatever the solution and whenever it's all complete, there'll always
be the issue of localized/original app/pref/folder names. Therefore, I
see no reason not to start doing the tooltip-thing for the German
translation. Other translations are of course free to wait some more.
More concerning in this respect are localizing screenshots anyway.
However, I don't expect that many GUI changes between our almost beta
alpha3 and R1... :) Famous last words... :)

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
        http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com