[haiku-i18n] Re: Localization of files and folders

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:14:11 +0100

Jonas Sundström Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> pulkomandy pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 07:02:30 -0600, "Travis D. Reed" <tdreed@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > My point was that I think files should have attributes
> > > Tracker could be modified to display the appropriate attribute
> > > for the user's chosen locale. For instance, the folder /home
> > > would retain the name /home but have an attribute Title.eo,
> > > that would be set to "hejmo" (the Esperanto word for "home").
> > > Tracker would check to see which locale I was set to and, finding
> > > that I have chosen Esperanto, it would search for the attribute
> > > Title.eo. When it found this attribute, it would display it as
> > > the name of the file.
> >
> > It is already possible to do that. You can remove the 'name'
> > column in the default display and show something else instead.
> > I'm worried about storing all these names as attributes. I think
> > it adds  weight to files without a real need for it. But I think
> > there's no perfect solution :)
>
> What if a single attribute is used. There is always one effective
> (primary) locale, always one primary language in use.

Except in multiuser. ($curse)

This complicates things. It's still possible to use about the same
scheme, but for a set of active languages, e.g. provide apps and
folders with the attributes of the smallest possible set of languages
in use by the combined set of users.

E.g. attributes 'sys:trans:en' and 'sys:trans:de'.
(two users, one English, one German)

A method to ask for an app's or folder's translated name
(i.e. look up the right attribute) would have to be introduced
and used in Tracker, Deskbar.

/Jonas.