[haiku-es] Re: Spanish Haiku website

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Waldemar Kornewald <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:58:23 -0700

Hi Waldemar,

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
What we would want is something like this:

    http://www.siteground.com/

or...

    http://ipowerweb.com/products/webhosting/index.html

If Haiku can pay an account like this for the Spanish Haiku community,
that would be great. If Haiku decides that it cannot (for whatever
reason), that's OK too.

As far as I can see, these are shared hosts. We could just give them
(and other communities) our second server. If possible, I'd prefer to
give them Dreamhost, so we can keep the option to use load-balancing.

Multi-lingual sites: I don't really like the idea because this means a
lot of work and many changes (all the URL mappings will be broken,
yuck) and I think this works well only for sites that have a 1:1
mapping between all communities (which already doesn't work with the
forums). In our case those community sites will only translate the
most important articles and news and they'll probably have their own
content, too. This (putting it all into one site) looks like a big
mess to me.

Regarding sharing a Drupal install: this was just about having the
files shared, but not the DBs. You simply create a new settings.php
file for each community site. That makes maintenance/upgrades much
easier. Just to test if it's possible, I've setup a sample site at
http://es.haiku-os.org on our second WF account.

This shared setup with subdomains may be worth trying. But I am concerned that changes -- like upgrades & customizations, for ex. -- to a common installation used for multiple sites could have unexpected problems that only manifest themselves in certain languages but not in others. It makes the whole setup a bit prone to potential problems, IMHO.

Why is the Drupal version different from that of the English site (5.x instead of 4.7)?

If they need ssh access the preferred solution is to send me an
SSH2-RSA public key (makes it possible to remove access without
changing passwords for the others). For each new community site, I can
quickly setup the basic Drupal site and they can do the rest
(configure, install modules, themes, customize the site, etc.).

Let me see if I understand: our admin(s) would have access to the .es subdomain via FTP?

I ask because this is needed to customize/localize the theme.

What do you think about this solution?

I think it's worth a try. Thanks!

Cheers,

Koki