[haiku-es] Re: Spanish Haiku website

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:10:00 +0200

Hi Jorge,

On 4/18/07, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Regarding sharing a Drupal install: this was just about having the
> files shared, but not the DBs. You simply create a new settings.php
> file for each community site. That makes maintenance/upgrades much
> easier. Just to test if it's possible, I've setup a sample site at
> http://es.haiku-os.org on our second WF account.

This shared setup with subdomains may be worth trying. But I am
concerned that changes -- like upgrades & customizations, for ex. -- to
a common installation used for multiple sites could have unexpected
problems that only manifest themselves in certain languages but not in
others. It makes the whole setup a bit prone to potential problems, IMHO.

I don't think this is a big problem if they don't do any code
customizations. They'd just have to coordinate upgrades with all
community sites. If that doesn't work well enough the alternative is
to have separate Drupal installs, but that means a lot more work when
doing upgrades and smaller communities might not get bug fixes quickly
enough that way.

Why is the Drupal version different from that of the English site (5.x
instead of 4.7)?

At some point, we'd have to upgrade, anyway. Well, the only problem
might be that the theme doesn't work with 5.x, anymore.

> If they need ssh access the preferred solution is to send me an
> SSH2-RSA public key (makes it possible to remove access without
> changing passwords for the others). For each new community site, I can
> quickly setup the basic Drupal site and they can do the rest
> (configure, install modules, themes, customize the site, etc.).

Let me see if I understand: our admin(s) would have access to the .es
subdomain via FTP?

I'd prefer if they used SFTP over SSH2 (using their SSH key). If
really needed, FTP is doable, but then we'd lose the advantage of SSH
keys and everyone would know the server password.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald