[haiku-doc] Re: Publishing the translated guides

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:32:18 -0800

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 23:15 +0100, Humdinger wrote:
> But since the pages at the translation site are always the most up-to-
> date, at least there's no problem with outdated information. Massive
> differences shouldn't crop up anyway, since those would mostly happen
> with new Haiku releases, which trigger new publications anyway.

It's not so much whether it is up to date, but more about duplication
and getting the information that you are looking for; presenting to a
post-alpha 1 version of the guide to an alpha1 user is not necessarily
good.

> I would also expect the official user guide to be at the top of search
> engine hits. Maybe a few HTML header thingies can further discourage
> indexing here, I dunno. At least, the haikuzone isn't in the googlezone
> when searching "Haiku User Guide" yet...

The HaikuZone subdomain was provided as a working place, not for
publishing the guide. The guide should be published where it belongs,
that is, under a haiku-os.org URL or subdomain. The sooner that happens,
the better, before the HaikuZone domain/subdomain appearing in the
Google radar or other websites start linking to pages there.

> Also, Haiku users will probably access the locally installed user guide
> first and the official "mothership" second. All casually interested in
> Haiku that want to learn about the system from having a look at the
> guide will probably start at the official haiku-os.org anyway and thus
> find it there.

Currently, the user guide is actually available in two places: a
multilingual version under the HaikuZone subdomain here...

http://userguide.haikuzone.net/generated/userguide/en/contents.html

...and (probably an old snapshot) in the Haiku website here:

http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/contents.html

To avoid duplication, you need to consolidate this into one place, and
that place should be the Haiku website, which is where all the
documentation resides.

> Finally, I think there's more to gain having the translation site
> readily available (proof reading, new translators, fans of Vincent's
> work who would like to deploy a similar system) than by fencing it off.

I started this thread stating that "it would be nice if the translated
pages got some extra exposure so that we can get feedback from actual
users" (quote from my message), so we agree on that. But you can be sure
that in the long run duplicate content will come back to hunt you when
people start linking to multiple different versions of what is supposed
to be the same document.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki