[haiku-development] Re: stop lurking! Me that is...

  • From: "Jonas Buckner" <buckner.jonas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:34:24 -0400

On 9/28/07, Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been following the Haiku project since Jonas Sundström visited my BSD
> conference a while ago.
>
> Since I am one of the few that has "too much" cpu/machines/network I offered
> him a box on my network,
>  but the activity on it has been sparse (no offense, Jonas) so I thought I'd
> ask if anyone else has use for a compile-box
> or something haiku-related like an extra ftp/http mirror or so.
>
> It's a FreeBSD6.2 dual-xeon with 1G ram on a 100MBit-link with no BW
> restrictions, and I've built a complete
> gcc2.95 haiku setup and done vmware-images on it without problems.
>
> There are a few limitations on its use, but I think it will bother you much:
>
> 1. Dont run any warez/illegal stuff/network attacks on it. Really simple
> rule, no weird shit. ;)
>
> 2. Dont run anything that looks "commercial". Its on a university network
> and we cant be seen as competing
>     with ISPs or something like that. Having ftp.se.haiku.org pointing there
> is fine, but not running buy-a-haiku-license.com
>     is not. Since you're going for MIT license on the OS, I dont think this
> is a problem. We can mirror/host stuff for linux/*BSD,
>    so obviously we can do the same for you.
>
> 3. Its on a best-effort basis, so if our security guys think there is
> weird-shit going on, they will pull the plug first and ask later.
>     We have no policies against protocols per se (like no torrents or
> similar weird rules) but be aware that the traffic could be
>     analyzed, at least in theory, if suspicions arise.
>
> 4. Dont remove *su.se entries in root's authorized_keys
>
> Apart from that you may waste disk/cpu/memory/network as much as
> haiku-development needs, the machine is not doing
> anything else. IPv4 and IPv6 reverse names available on request. (I havent
> enabled v6 but its there on the link if you like)
>
> Interrested devs should include a ssh-pubkey in replies.
>
> --
> Some mornings, it's just not worth gnawing through the straps...

Hello,

  I have been looking for a way to start writing and contributing code
for the past couple of years, but I've had computer trouble and
financial trouble preventing me from fixing it for the last 2-3 years.
I haven't been able get a computer I can install Haiku on in quite a
while. Can this machine compile haiku code under BSD? (That is,
compile it completely without having to boot Haiku.) Is that even
possible?

  I only have a 99Mhz machine with 1GB HD here. I can ssh from it (and
from the machines at my university), but I wouldn't be able to test my
stuff without significant help from someone else.

  I don't think this is the kind of usage you had in mind, and if
there's someone else who can make better use of it, you should give
them access instead. Not that, I suppose, sharing it for multiple uses
is out of the question.

  Also, I haven't looked at the Haiku source in a long time, so it'll
take me a while to get up to speed with it again, but I would
certainly love to try.

Thank you,
Jonas Buckner
buckner.jonas@xxxxxxxxx
RSA-ssh-pubkey Attached
---- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----
Comment: "rsa-key-20070928"
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAIBqxNxO5gBMvTr4WiHgdR7gExxHcyp7KmnYFj82
rsQPqmap7vlqxAP+flDUhJapkQoY0uqMYm/+vxrGpxraA/NgHexpu5uZchXmt3YQ
PFEfru9EkRAs1dJKCKHABIAb0/wP7qYrn4IUKAwMfcvTwmO4GPktta9V47He+mQI
yf7j8Q==
---- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY ----