[haiku-development] Re: infoPopper info_server

  • From: "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:32:32 +0000

On 10/04/2008, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Oliver Ruiz Dorantes
>  <oliver.ruiz.dorantes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Maybe this subject already appeared in the mailing list.
>

> The idea of a notification server in Haiku has been discussed a few
>  times. I kind of think that name is better and more accurate than info
>  server too.
>
>  Here are some relevant threads and forum postings:
>
>  http://www.bug-br.org.br/pipermail/glasselevator-talk/2007-May/000312.html
>  http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/applications_stealing_focus
>  //www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/08-2006/msg00708.html
>  //www.freelists.org/archives/haiku-development/05-2007/msg00013.html
>
>  Hey Niklas, if you are listening, did you ever post your RFC for a
>  notification server?
>

>  > But looking at the work made from Italy : http://www.haiku-os.it/node/276
>  >
>  > In R1/R2, sooner or later, we will need and (certainly have someday)
>  > something like this.
>  >
>  > Despite there might be people against having an info_server in R1.
>  > Why dont we propose the people working on it to host this inside Haiku?
>  >
>  > Any dev can build it if he wants or whatever ... but would ensure somehow
>  > the work not getting replicated....
>

> I had posted the idea of a "notification_server" about a year ago
>  (last link above), with various kinds of responses (quite a few
>  against though.) But I agree something like this could be useful built
>  into Haiku.
>
>  I'm not sure how the info_server works, but the final idea we had for
>  a notification_server was that all the messages should be logged
>  somewhere and viewable in a GUI, and there should be an option to turn
>  off the pop-up messages (but still the option for the person to check
>  the list whenever they want.) Plus maybe an option for the
>  notifications method to be more subtle, like just the Deskbar
>  replicant changing.
>
>  Either way we should definitely combine efforts, both for the reason
>  that there are only so many resources working on Haiku software and
>  also because something like this should become fairly standardized so
>  all apps can use it consistently.
>

>  Ryan

IMHO a notification system is a must. One situation when you definitely need it,
it's when your laptop battery is running low. That's a must in my opinion.

BTW: one thing I hate in linux based system is that you don't see the
message if you are watching a movie in full-screen mode, which always
ends up with me screaming at the black monitor. It'd be nice to have
something like OSD in Haiku in this particular situation that slowly
flashes "Battery Low" while you watching the movie.

Another situation is probably for bluetooth devices, but Oliver can
say more about this.

Regards,
--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)