[haiku-development] Re: Yet another Task for GSoC: HUD

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 10:41:40 +0100

On 01.03.2012 10:28, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
[...]
I am not saying that the "menu command search" can only be implemented
after rewriting most apps. But I am arguing that the feature is only
usefull once most apps are rewritten with it in mind. And it doesn't
make sense to implement the UI without at least adding the API for
applications to declare their supported commands this way. Otherwise
it's pretty useless as it doesn't even provide a motivation to update
any apps.

Definitely! Just to take Ubuntu as the usual bad example: their dashboard search in Unity is just ridiculously bad implemented. For example, if I type in RDP nothing turns up. If I switch to the "More apps" category first, there are then a few downloadable apps -- the search input field itself always looks the same, there is no easy way to know where you are. Furthermore, if you then download and install such an app, it will no longer be found via RDP, but only if you know the name of the app. Wow, that's really frustratingly bad.

The bottom line is: don't implement such a feature only half way, it just will get your users frustrated.

Bye,
   Axel.