[haiku-development] Yet another Task for GSoC: HUD

  • From: "Jürgen Wall" <x-otic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:17:14 +0100

I guess I'm not the only one to have the idea, but since nobody mentioned it I
through it in here:
There is this great new "Head-Up Display" feature coming with the next Ubuntu
release [1], which makes the applications menu-set discoverable.

It's implementation should be quite "trivial", just a search through the
available menu items of an app and the display of matching items.
This is something Haiku could adopt as well, right? And it could be done by a
student during CSoC.

So here is how it *could* be implemented. Maybe someone has a better idea.
Of course, Haiku does not use a shared menu bar for all apps,
so the HUD search wouldn't be placed at a global level but per application.
Maybe as an additional menu item with a special symbol (a Haiku leaf?)
added automatically in front (leftmost) of all the other menu items.
Clicking on it would show an editbox in place of the menubar and show the
matching entries in a drop down box.

Or we dedicate an editbox rightmost within the menubar like the visual studio
guys have done with their IDE as shown in the clip at [2].

[1] http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/939
[2]
http://video.golem.de/software-entwicklung/7324/visual-studio-11-developer-preview.html

Regards,