[haiku-development] Re: Yet another Task for GSoC: HUD

  • From: Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:47:54 -0500

Personally the direction that Ubuntu went for 11.04 and 11.10
infuriated me and drove me to leave Ubuntu for Mint.

Reading about this new HUD idea has infuriated me as well, as it's
just more of the same arrogance on their part of telling users what is
good for them and telling them they're just wrong and stupid if they
don't like the new way (in spite of now admitting at least a little
that they screwed up over the past couple releases with their menu
choices etc.)

I don't mind the idea of having a way to search through the menus and
jump right to an option if you already know the name of it and don't
remember the hotkey combo or location in the menu hierarchy or
something. Like Jürgen said, making this option in Haiku a supplement
to the normal menus, along side them...

But REPLACING the menu, which is what Shuttleworth, despite his later
comments, specifically said was their intention in upcoming releases,
is just infuriatingly stupid to me.

I was mad enough that Unity no longer let me get to where I wanted to
be in a single click, I couldn't close a window in a single click,
couldn't see the menu to even know where I wanted to click without
having to first find the invisible menu, then hover and wait, and then
visually figure out my choice from the previous hidden options, and on
and on... no longer being able to find my app in a menu with a single
click and drag... instead having to either type it in to search for
it, or click several times to search through panels of icons etc...

I desperately hope that Haiku doesn't start doing the same kind of
utter UI design failures that Ubuntu has been forcing on users lately.

There are a few things about the UI of Haiku that I don't care much
for at the moment, such as an easier way of visualizing all my open
windows so that I can jump right to one without having to manually
minimize or click around or navigate through the deskbar etc... and
for these I particularly like things like Gnome3's approach to showing
you all the open windows on a workspace scaled when you flip the mouse
into the upper left corner of the screen. I love that new feature...
and it makes getting right to the exactly window I want a matter of a
split second woosh and click. That's the kind of thing I'd like to see
in Haiku to increase my ease of use on the desktop. Not the kind of
woefully misguided UI design failures of Ubuntu as of late.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a real issue for me given the very
poor choices I feel Ubuntu has been making in recent releases and I
would really hate to see Haiku go down the same road.

--
猿も木から落ちる