[haiku-development] Re: Working on Caya and Mail app for GSoC

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:17:19 +1300

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:06:35 +1300, Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just have a vague idea for what the Services Server is good for. Could
you please add to the doc what the problems are and how services server
solve them? Just to make sure that we are talking about the same stuff ;-)

I'll explain here how the implementation try to solve the problems :

* Provide a high-level API for creating services addon.
Without using directly the fs api the system can provide functionalities
that equals to a real file system implementation. How to implement
notifications in add-ons? i'm wondering something like MessageReceived().

* A centralized entity will help to manage things like contact sync in a
more flexible way, every
modification in the virtual directories can be handled and notified easily.
With a server in the middle, you can be sure that apps and users will
respect your rules.

There is nothing preventing users to not use this API and this compromises the whole approach, right? The user could just use tracker or the terminal to confuse the add-ons.

Design is not simple, and i was just trying to find a fair solution trying to solve the problems of the "pure fs" approach. Honestly i'm trying to do what i can, but the most part of this thread is confusing me in particular
about the object of my proposal and how it should be adapted for gsoc.

I still have the following question maybe it helps you too to answer them.
What's a service server/ addon? What is it doing? Does it only manages contacts? what else? The main problem is sync local <-> server?

If I remember correctly the fs was just my suggestion maybe you focus on your original idea again? It would also be nice part of the project to develop libs plus test apps to download contacts from different providers...

keep going! :-)
        Clemens