[haiku-development] Re: Working on Caya and Mail app for GSoC

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:22:20 +1300

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 04:24:41 +1300, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since when do GSoC projects have to be simple? There is a mentor and a mentor pool for a reason.

This time it's not about being simple, it's about the balance between thinking and designing thing and actually writing code. As far as I know, GSoC requires writing code explicitly, and a project like this one, as challenging and interesting as it can be (as a student, I could even want to do it), needs a long thinking time to get all the issues solved, and I think that should be done before starting to write any code. So maybe we can talk about it a bit more, and set up a more complete proposal about it for GSoC 2012, or we can risk a student spending a lot of think&design time and write little code, or write code that we will drop later because it doesn't fit the needs.

That's entirely up to the Student if he/she submit a good design in the proposal its fine!, but right the main idea should be established beforehand. Implementing the FS should be straight forward, or at least I have a pretty good picture how it should looks like.

Maybe we allow R2 things to be worked on as part of GSoC on purpose, I

Yes please, I have a decent craving for new features! :-)

cheers,
        Clemens