[haiku-development] Re: Working on Caya and Mail app for GSoC

  • From: Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 17:17:08 +0200

Hi Ryan,

> * Mail gui refactoring
>
> More detail about your ideas here would be good.

I have pratically ever used webmails in my life, so i have not many ideas
about the refactoring. Basically, the intention was to rewrite the gui using
layouts fixing the most important bugs :

http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=new&component=Applications%2FMail&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority

give me the time to get a bit into the Mail app code : )

> > * Make a little contacts preflet
>
> Doesn't the People app already serve this purpose?

People serve the purpose of editing single people files. As said the
"Contacts" preflet will help to manage the contacts (or sync as discussed
with alex) merge it, or make easy to find it by ordering in groups. I know
that the tracker can serve the majority of our needs, but it's also true
that Haiku is not BeOS where everything was done using Tracker. IMHO could
not be more user friendly, to oblige the user to use the Tracker.

> I've had thoughts of a contact syncing system for a while, mainly for
> making People files of my Google contacts, but obviously syncing with
> other services would be neat. Adding this would require more of the
> "Service Kit" stuff which was discussed and partially implemented in
> last years GSoC. Google's contact API is a REST API for example.
> Adding that to the above ideas might make it a good GSoC project.

 So, an ideal implementation would be something like an addon that use the
"Service Kit" API to connect via HTTP using the REST protocol. What is
missing from the service kit api that should be added to support REST?

Thanks for your help!

Regards
--Dario