[haiku-development] Re: What for does SAT solver needed for package management?

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:06:03 +0200

Kurtis Mullins wrote:
> > As Ingo has written, application bundles will be possible in Haiku.
>
> Any possible timeline or tickets open for this? I'm interested in following
> the progression on this task. Thanks!

There's no timeline (is there ever? ;-)) or ticket (actually not even a TODO as
I just noticed). In fact the feature isn't particularly high priority for the
following reasons:

1. What works now will continue to work: You can just distribute a
self-contained zip file, i.e. one that contains all needed libraries in a "lib"
subdirectory of your application directory. You can unzip that anywhere and
start the application. Only the libraries not included will be searched in the
global library directories.

2. You can build an application package (HPKG) that installs (or rather:
publishes its contents) in /boot/{common,home/config}/apps/<appname>.
Installing the package can be done by D&Ding the file to the respective
packages directory or probably by double clicking it. Just as in solution 1 you
can include a "lib" subdirectory with all the needed libraries. Other than that
the installation location is fixed it works just like solution 1. That's
actually already possible with the status quo of our package management
implementation (save for the double click installation).

So basically application bundles do already work. What is missing are merely
convenience features (like double click starting the application or opening the
application directory). Those probably won't be tackled before package
management has been merged into the trunk.

CU, Ingo