[haiku-development] What for does SAT solver needed for package management?

  • From: "X512" <danger_mail@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:27:53 +0400

From:
https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/what_does_sat_solver_needed_package_management

As I understand package resolution in Haiku will be implemented using
this. Boolean satisfiability problem is a NP-complete task. So
depedency resolution can't be solved in polynomial time. I really don't
understand what for does it need.

Package resolution can be implemented like shared object resolution.
For example package A requires package B v1.6 and package C v4.3. If
you install package A, system will check existness and correct version
range for packages B and C. If all is OK then package will be installed
successfully, if not, system can request user to download packages or
automatically download it from repositiry. I don't see any boolean
satisfiability problem or NP-complete tasks. Searching package by name
is log(N), enumerating depedencies is M, total is M*log(N).

Can everyone explain where am I wrong?