[haiku-development] Re: What for does SAT solver needed for package management?

  • From: Kurtis Mullins <kurtis.mullins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:27:15 -0400

Makes sense to me! I was thinking more along the lines of file-size (to
download/distribute) and caching but yeah, those sorts of computers
wouldn't have any trouble.

On the *other* hand -- there's a lot of people (just from reading the
forums) who want Haiku to:

1. Run on ARM and other, even less-powerful chip-sets
2. Run responsively on their old computer so they can use it to play movies
or whatever they can't do with any other OS

Me -- I don't really care, either way. I think having statically-linked
applications sounds like it would alleviate a lot of distribution issues. I
think it would also be nice to just have that simple file you download,
double-click and boom it's ready to go. Then again, my primary computer has
a 6-core CPU and I'm more excited to see Haiku move forward rather than
reminiscing in nostalgia. Plus, there's not a whole lot of people out there
to do packaging maintenance so this might be a realistic route to follow.
In the amount of time it would take to do a proper dependency-checking
package management system, Haiku could put together some "fat binary"
documentation (maybe include a Haiku installation system like Windows
provides) and build a web-site or "app store" to make distribution that
much easier. Progress could be just around the corner!