[haiku-development] Re: What for does SAT solver needed for package management?

  • From: "X512" <danger_mail@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:03:37 +0400

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:50:52 +0100, David Given <dg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Consider a package for a web CMS system. In order to work, the CMS
> requires: a web server, logging daemon, and cron (or equivalent). We
> want the CMS to plug in to the existing infrastructure so that we
> don't
> end up with a dozen different copies running simultaneously; but we
> don't want to limit packages to the infrastructure shipped in the
> system
> because that's, well, limiting. Therefore we have to allow packages
> depend on other packages, and fat binaries won't help here.
What happens if I need to use specific server or run web services on
diffrent servers?

> Additionally, and most importantly, fat binaries don't allow security
> updates. Someone finds another libpng buffer overflow? On a system
> like
> Debian you can just replace the libpng shared library and fix it
> everwhere. On a fat binary system you can't fix it *ever*, because
> you've got a zillion copies of libpng embedded everywhere, in a
> zillion
> different versions, and some of the developers aren't going to update
> their apps. (Debian explicitly forbids fat binaries for precisely
> this
> reason.)
This is a problem of software developer. If he use buggy library his
application can be buggy too. But this don't affect other applications
in any way. Bug will be present only in applications where library is
buggy. But some applications can use bugs and bugfixing can break it.
This is bad, but this is reality. For example Microsoft don't fix some
bugs in Win32 because some important applications rely on this
bugs(information from Wine project).