[haiku-development] Re: Voting aftermath

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:16:08 -0700

2008/9/25 Michael Phipps <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Not to stir the pot, but since we were asked to discuss...

At least you're getting discussion started :)

> Setting a release date is *not* a good idea. Think about all of the press
> that you will get. Slashdot, osnews, reddit, etc. Then, if it doesn't happen
> (for whatever reason...)? Yikes! I learned early on that "when it is done" is
> the best of all possible answers.

Well to be fair - it was *not* a "release date" but rather a "freeze
date" - which should instead imply a "code-freeze" I believe at which
might imply no new functionality being added, no refactoring of
existing issues, simply testing and bugfixing in preparation for the
real release.

I didn't vote on this proposition because it's really something that
the core devs need to decide on themselves. I seriously do think
setting a freeze date that all devs will adhere to is a good idea, at
least until alpha is "out the door" and the next alpha/beta is in the
works. Without setting some sort of freeze date, you're essentially
leaving the alpha release open-ended, and it may never happen. For an
alpha, I would maybe consider adopting a slightly different strategy:
"If it's not done by the time we ship it, then that's too bad."... I
realize that's an unpopular opinion, but I think this Alpha needs to
happen soon.  We've already agreed to the blockers - but if nobody
adopts the blockers, and they don't ever get finished, there won't
ever be an Alpha...

For everyone's benefit, I will copy the proposition as it currently reads below:

Prop # 7: Set a preliminary freeze date for alpha 1

Adopted by: nielx

Set a date on which the source repository is freezed and where alpha 1
will be finished.

In favour: nielx, dlmcpaul, leavengood, scottmc, mauricek

Against: mmlr, bonefish, stippi, axeld, sikosis

- Urias