[haiku-development] Re: Voting aftermath

  • From: "Donn Cave" <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:54:00 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

| As far as python, I think that you need more facts (that I am quite sure
| that Donn could provide):
|
| 1) How big would the package be? Talking in extremes, 10k for Python is a
| "great deal". 100 mb is not. I am sure that it is somewhere in between. :)

Right, I think more like 60-70 Mb.

| 2) Last I knew, BeThon was in pretty good shape. That implied that Python
| would be the only language that you could dev Haiku apps with for real.

That's true (other than C++ of course), but I'm glad you remind me
about that.

I guess 8 years ago I would naturally have been very excited if Be wanted
to bring Python and Bethon on board, but I would have expected that to
include some engineering work, to make Bethon more complete and maintainable.
Today, I suppose I have more opportunity to work on that myself, since
I have access to Haiku internals that I lacked with BeOS - but honestly
I'm not very motivated, as in the interim I have lost some of my earlier
enthusiasm for Python as a BeOS or Haiku application platform.  I'm sure
willing to do maintenance and minor development on Bethon (at least,
I could release changes for Haiku somewhere), but I don't think it's
suitable for release as a system component in its present state and
I wasn't planning on doing anything about that, myself.

So I couldn't recommend that Bethon be included, and if that was the
main attraction with Python ...

        Donn