[haiku-development] Re: VirtualBox Mouse laggyness in r29417 vs r29391

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:51:08 -0400

Stephan Assmus wrote:
Hi,

Von: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Alexander von Gluck
<kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
For some reason the changes between r29417 and r29391 have caused the
mouse
movements in Haiku under VirtualBox to become delayed and sluggish.

r29391 the mouse works as expected.
r29417 the mouse lags and is sluggish. moving the cursor has a delay.

Ideas?
In r29413 Stephan changed how often the USB bus was queried to get the
mouse position, so if your VirtualBox is emulating a USB mouse this
might be why. Though Stephan did some testing and it seemed smooth, so
this might just be an oddity in VirtualBox. Though it is worth
investigating.

I should probably enable the alternative code where it checks at fixed
intervals. The code as is adds a fixed delay, so if it was already slow, then
it's even slower now.

Best regards,
-Stephan

I can't say if this is truly related or not, but over the last few days, I've built and rebuilt Haiku a number of times after having not built it since late February or early March (probably before 3/6 in fact). I'm using an Atom based machine not VirtualBox, and building under OpenSuSE 11 to a dedicated partition. This week, ever since I rebuilt Haiku, my mouse has been extremely sluggish; I'm talking maybe an inch or two worth of movement over a period of 10 seconds after I actually moved the mouse. Unfortunately, it's making Haiku completely unusable for me because for some reason the safe mode video resolution selection that I make when booting Haiku is being ignored, so I can't get to the display properties window fast enough to prevent my monitor's stupid "refresh rate/resolution not supported" time out from occurring. (If I could get to the display properties I could manually change the resolution. In case you're wondering the Intel 945G video chipset of this Atom 330 board causes Haiku to freeze when booting unless I switch to safe mode video/VESA. That's been the norm since I first got Haiku running on it, and not that big a deal to me at this point.)

I'm going to build some older revisions to see if I can pin point the day of changes that is causing this lag.

Raymond