[haiku-development] Re: Using the Haiku layout manager in app not part of Haiku

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:45:38 +0200

On 2009-04-13 at 12:54:06 [+0200], Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-04-12 at 10:12:45 [+0200], Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:27:54 -0400, Ryan Leavengood said:
> [...]
> > Simple answer, use the API. :) It will probably change, yes, but so what?
> >
> > > I suppose many of us will just have to take the risk.
> >
> > And I see no reason not to. Even if you wrote something not using the API
> > you would probably want to make use of it when it is considered final (is
> > any API really final anyway?). And this means rewritting the code to use
> > it. :P
>
> Good points. One could even say that problems in the API, or at least
> possible improvements, would not be uncovered, if no one used it.

While using experimental API in third party applications sounds harmless,
since one can adjust and recompile the application, it also introduces a
serious annoyance for the users, since they are forced to update
applications when updating their system. That's not really a problem for
software we bundle with our Haiku distribution anyway, but it is for
"actual" third party software.

CU, Ingo