[haiku-development] Re: Path-relocatable software and assigns?

  • From: Adrien <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:48:37 +0200

> > Do you think an assign equivalent would be a worthy addition to
> > Haiku?
>
> Not sure. They sound fun, but I don't see many applications for them
> ATM besides the package installation, for which I'd favor exploring
> the package FS idea first.

Actually they are used for many things in amigaOS. The "assign add"
is particularly powerful, it is used for the path, but also for include
search, so you put all the dirs where you have .h files in a single
INCLUDES: assign. This avoids very long messy gcc command lines :)

Adrien - GSoC candidate and amigaOS user :)