[haiku-development] Re: Using the Haiku layout manager in app not part of Haiku

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:13:47 -0300

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 17:48, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> That is unfortunate. How can someone write software for Haiku that is
>> font sensitive and has localization support (once the Locale Kit is done)
>> without using this API?
>>
>> I suppose many of us will just have to take the risk.
>
> The risk is not that the API will be removed again or will change so much
> you won't recognize it anymore. The risk is that your binary will break on
> a newer version of Haiku. So if you are commited to keeping your binary
> up2date and adopting to some small changes in the API, then it should be
> just fine to use it. I don't want to miss out on this great stuff either
> and will change all my apps over time to use it.

I'm very probably missing something rather obvious here, but if the
layout API is segregated into its own library (I'm sure we all
remember Marco Nelissen's liblayout) and doesn't make calls to even
more unstable/private APIs deeper into the Interface Kit, wouldn't
statically linking this library solve all of those problems? The
binary would just work on future revisions of the OS, caveat breakage
due to other issues.

Later on, when the API stabilises, the app can be simply adjusted and
recompiled to link to the library dynamically.

So... What am I missing? :)

Cheers,
A.