[haiku-development] Re: The next release

  • From: Richie Nyhus-Smith <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 00:14:33 +1200

The idea was, and still is, to have a beta release "when it's ready", as
defined by the tickets put into that milestone, and from then on, keep a
release branch from which R1 will be made, and a development branch for
other developments. The time estimates were a bit too optimistic, but that
does not change this plan.

That is a fine plan for a beta release, but that release is quite clearly
not going to happen for some time with the current circumstances.

There are some major problems and regressions in the current codebase
(for example WebPositive has a lot of bugs that weren't in alpha4, USB has
some regressions (they are being worked on), and our network drivers are a
lot out of date),
<snip>
In other words, which tickets from the beta1 list do you think we cqn
remove for an alpha5?

https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=reopened&status=new&group=status&milestone=R1%2Fbeta1

It deppens on your definition of alpha and beta software and your rationale
for publicly releasing the software at that stage. That is, what you want
in return.

I see the point of an alpha phase as getting early feed back from a much
wider spectrum of users than what can be provided by devopers and other
stakeholders. Plus it is core to following the paradigm of "Release early.
Release often. And listen to your customers". However you wouldn't want to
release regressions or bugs/issues that may result in data loss or hardware
damage.

I see the beta phase as being more about implementing a rigorous quality
assurance programme on feature complete software and getting inquisitive
end users to use it for their normal purposes in order to tease out hidden
issues.

Therefore it would be easier to say what tickets I think should be kept,
than what I think should be removed for an alpha release. Thus I can't see
the connection between out dated network drivers issue and an Issue would
block a theoretical alpha release.

we still don't have the infrastructure for doing a proper release in
terms of packages and repositories. This is what is really blocking beta1,
and it would block an alpha5 release the same way.

Without this solved, you may as well pick a random nightly and call it
"release". But we won't be able to offer the required level of support for
it.

Or in other words, ticket #10893 would not be fixed, as in the status quo.
Something that definitely needs to be fixed before a beta, but would be
acceptable in alpha software.

Yes, an alpha at this stage would be much like the "Discover Haiku"
endeavour released by Dane & Co, only with more quality assurance and with
the regressions and data loss bugs fixed, but that wouldn't be too
dissimilar to the state that alpha1 was in. Plus it would show outsiders
that the project is alive through action, rather than just talk (which does
work; but only so much).

So is Haikeuken going to be officially adopted by the project or is it
going to remain a 3rd party project by Alexander? Does the project still
need to recruit a volunteer to assist Alexander with development or is
something else happening?

-
Richard.