[haiku-development] Re: The next release

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 07:47:14 -0500

On 2015-04-14 00:15, Adrien Destugues wrote:

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 08:42:04PM -0400, Andrew Hudson wrote:
I also think we should now revisit whether the next release is Alpha or Beta. It's been quite a long time since our last serious release discussion,
and since that time it is not clear to me that we have made any substantial progress towards resolving the package management issues.

If we are stalled on package management, I think that will keep pushing a Beta release out, right?. So the next best option is Alpha 5 release.

It is not that simple. Even if we decide to call the release "alpha", it
should still be a stable release. We can't pick a random nightly and
slap the "alpha" tag on it.
.
.
So, all it would change is remove the "get alpha 4" link on the
homepage. But, can't we just add a "get a nightly build" link there?

I already did this quite some time ago.

On the download A4 page in the big green box at the top:

"Feeling adventurous?
You may want to take a look at the unstable nightly/development downloads at the bottom<link> of this page."

Or link to the "discover haiku" distribution? There is no need for a
release to do that, and it would solve the problem just as well.

I don't think we should be linking to external distros unless we want to go the OpenIndiana route which isn't a good idea.
(Haiku makes the base os, external parties make releases based on it)

-- Alex