[haiku-development] Re: Switch to Clang or GCC 4.9?

  • From: Przemysław Pintal <premislaus1988@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:43:24 +0200

A much better idea is to abandon gcc2 at this stage. Well written code
compiles with gcc4. gcc2 is artificially kept alive.

gcc2 = no new Mesa, no new ffmpeg, no support for new standards. Haiku
is a media OS!

Compatibility with BeOS is harmful. On BeOS there was not a lot of
applications. Neither is worthy of attention.

Proper regression checking is provided by unit tests, not comatibility
with ancient software without source code. Maybe this task is good for
next contract?

Maybe official gcc4h (also 64-bit)?

12 years ago it was a good choice (compatibility with BeOS). It might
be worth now consider the change? 12 years is a long time and what
looked right then may be no longer good for Haiku now. I know we are
waiting for R1... But how many years we have to wait? Five?