[haiku-development] Re: Switch to Clang or GCC 4.9?

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:54:37 +0200

Am 23.04.2014 um 19:32 schrieb Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:

> We usually only vote when absolutely necessary, i.e. when a decision needs to
> be reached and a consensus cannot be found (respectively there isn't an
> option obviously favored by a majority). So, generally the process starts
> with an informal discussion. If a decision cannot be reached, a vote is
> suggested (the options may need to be discussed), and finally a formal vote
> is held (*).
>
> CU, Ingo
>
> (*) Years ago we almost formalized the process. There's mail from Jorge --
> I'm too lazy to search it ATM -- which summarized the process and was
> generally agreed on. We should really put this stuff in the wiki or on the
> website.

Ah, ok. I did not know that. So, we should first discuss about the pros and
cons of Clang and then vote? I think it might sense to vote on it with an
informal vote first, to see what the majority thinks. If e.g. everybody prefers
GCC, that would make clear that it makes more sense to work on GCC 4.9.

--
Jonathan