[haiku-development] Re: Switch to Clang or GCC 4.9?

  • From: Jonathan Schleifer <js-haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:36:17 +0200

Am 23.04.2014 um 19:59 schrieb Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:

> There are major issues like that it hasn't been properly integrated with the
> build system yet and that it still depends on gcc (glue code, C++
> runtime/standard library).

Yes, that's why I said we shouldn't vote for what we want now, but what we want
in the long-term. I plan on working on these if we decide that we want Clang in
the long-term.

> I'm all for switching to clang eventually, but ATM making a decision would be
> premature. Once we have full clang support in the build system and everything
> turns out to work at least as good as with gcc, we can switch.

I actually patched the missing things in the build system. Try ./configure with
--use-clang. All that's missing is importing the sources, if we decide to go
that way. For now it just uses the installed Clang, as that always is a
cross-compiler.

> And afterward we can consider whether we drop gcc support. Though it might be
> a good idea to support both compilers anyway.

I wouldn't drop GCC until Clang fully works, but we should at some point make
it the default, if we want to go the Clang route. And we need to decide whether
we want to go the Clang route. Because if not, working on these things is
wasted time.

--
Jonathan