[haiku-development] Re: Settings for Vesa mode

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 13:19:56 +0000

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 09:12, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2010-05-03 at 00:18:58 [+0200], Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> [Can we put this in the FAQ?]
>
> Please do. The question is definitely frequently asked.

done.

Why doesn't Haiku let me use my monitor's resolution?
(http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq#12)

Most likely, Haiku is using the VESA driver. As with any other VESA
driver, it has limitations. The problem is that the VESA driver cannot
configure an arbitrary resolution. Even if it recognizes the needed
one from the monitor info. It can only *pick* (quite literally) one
resolution from a fixed list, the VESA BIOS list as manufactured in
your graphics board. It cannot configure the mode on the chip as a
special graphics driver can.

How can I check which graphics driver is being used?
(http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq#14)
From within Terminal, you can run listimage | grep accel If
"vesa.accelerant" is shown amongst other text, then Haiku does not
have a dedicated driver for your graphics card and instead is using
VESA. Luckily, Haiku's VESA performance is rather impressive.