[haiku-development] Re: Settings for Vesa mode

  • From: "x-otic@xxxxxxx" <x-otic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 11:26:13 +0200

Jack,

On 01.05.2010 23:22, Jack Small wrote:
Juergen,

On May 2, 2010, at 1:59 PM, x-otic wrote:

Having installed a nightly natively on my Acer Aspire 1692 (with Radeon
Mobility X700 (PCIE))
I get the frequently mentioned black screen after the boot logo.
Thus, I am constantly swithing to Vesa mode during boot using space-
bar, etc...
Is there a config file which sets the Vesa mode automatically.
Another question is, can I use other resolutions than the listed ones
in boot config screen?
My display is 1280x800 sized.

I have a machine using the "Intel GMA950 Graphics" where I see the black screen every time. I have been able to fix this by removing the "intel_extreme" link in the boot/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/graphics/ directory. This seems to allow me to boot and run as normal.

This worked for me!
I removed the radeon link and could boot into 1024x768.
Unfortunately the setting in the vesa file "mode 1280 800 32" didn't work.
However, one annoyance less is still good!
I keep meaning to follow-up on this to figure out why it's happening but other stuff keeps cropping up. I'm not sure if this is your exact issue. I hope it helps, I know the frustration well.

More later,
Jack
Cheers,
  Juergen