[haiku-development] Re: Settings for Vesa mode

  • From: Jack Small <jaxs@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 14:36:56 -0700

On May 1, 2010, at 11:12 PM, Humdinger wrote:

-- David Couzelis, on Sun, 2 May 2010 01:47:33 -0400:
I created the file "~/config/settings/kernel/drivers/vesa" and put
this in it:

mode 1680 1050 32

But when I reboot, I still get 1024x768, and my "vesa" file has been
changed to:

mode 1400 1050 32

That's because it's the resolution nearest to what you'd like to have.
At least you only have to stretch horizontally. I had the exact same
issue when having to use Vesa with my nvidia 7600 Go before Rudolf
fixed a driver issue.

I would also like 1680 x 1050, but I get 1600 x 1200. The Screen preference panel reports the correct monitor name, but my next lowest choice is 1280 x 1024. This is a DVI-D video out. Unfortunately the difference is enough to distort images and text such that they appear beautiful but "wrong". Squares are not quite square, circles aren't circles.

I have no experience at all with video drivers so I don't really know what is wrong here. Is there a ticket for whatever is causing this? Or something I can modify in my build to force the correct size? It seems so close!

On May 2, 2010, at 2:26 AM, x-otic@xxxxxxx wrote:

This worked for me!

Excellent. Technically the credit goes to Urias who patiently explained it to me.

Until this stops happening with every build, I would recommend putting something about this in the documentation. Widescreens are not going away - until next year when we need 3D monitor drivers!? :)

More later,
Jack