[haiku-development] Re: Settings for Vesa mode

  • From: Nickos V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 08:06:01 -0600

> The problem is that the VESA driver cannot configure an arbitrary
> resolution. Even if it recognizes the needed one from the monitor info.
> It can only *pick* (quite literally) one resolution from a fixed list,
> the VESA BIOS list as manufactured in your graphics board. It cannot
> configure the mode on the chip as a special graphics driver can.

Thanks Stephan but I have two questions to ask.

I am not sure if this is a bug or if Intel left out video modes from the
VESA BIOS list.

I noticed that for Intel video cards there are lots of
0 x 0 x 0 modes (missing resolutions) when looking at syslog.

Video cards from ATI, Nvidia & VIA have all their VESA modes defined
with actual resolutions in their VESA list.

To understand what I am saying look at these syslogs:
Intel:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/5865/syslog-acpi#L9
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/5866/syslog#L1027

ATI Radeon:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/5843/syslog#L6

Nvidia:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/5703/SYSLOG00.TXT#L11

VIA:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/5877/syslog#L12

You see both Intel video cards have many 0x0x0 video modes listed.
Can someone tell me why many videos modes for Intel are missing
from the VESA list?

2nd question.  I noticed additional video modes further down in the
syslog and wonder if those are stated for the VESA driver?
Or would they apply to Intel video driver?

Lines 63, 65 & 66.
http://dev.haiku-os.org/attachment/ticket/5865/syslog-acpi#L60

Regards,

Videos that have everyone talking! Now also in HD!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9724465