[haiku-development] Re: Reproducing system pauses.

  • From: "Bruno Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:57:53

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:32:26 +0200, Ingo Weinhold said:

> Maybe I misunderstood the ticket or Bruno's description, but isn't
> the ticket about actual freezes (like the system is toast) while Bruno
describes temporary graphical (and I/O?) hangs lasting only a few
seconds?

One small correction to my original description. it is not always that
the entire GUI freezes. For instance, in one of my recent tests
ActivityMonitor stopped drawing its graphic but ProcessController's
bars in the Deskbar were still drawing (again, this is with VM off). I
think with VM on I get more pauses and they seem more broad than with
VM off due to paging. That said, I once got a pause that lasted around
5 seconds where not even the mouse pointer moved. This happened exactly
when all my memory was used by the file cache and the page_writer/page_
daemon kicked in.

-Bruno