[haiku-development] Re: Reproducing system pauses.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:12:28 +0200 CEST

Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Michael Weirauch<dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > No, you don't misunderstand the ticket. But there was some
> > intermediate
> > off-topic discussion regarding the UI freezes and my trials with
> > dd'ing
> > and reproducing the (UI) freezes.
> I don't see complete UI freezes here, but there is quite noticeable
> I/O lag when doing things like running 'svn up' from the root of the
> haiku source tree, and then trying to do things like load an app
> while
> that's running (often takes 5-10 seconds for an app to launch that
> would otherwise be instant on the same system).

While that is, to a certain degree, understandable, I can also report
the same for my current Linux system, where things like "svn up" render
the whole system pretty much unusable for several seconds (especially
things like Firefox which needs a lot of disk access). I'm sure this
can be handled, better, though.

Bye,
   Axel.