[haiku-development] Re: Reproducing system pauses.

  • From: "Bruno Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:00:51

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:55:01 +0200 CEST, Axel Dörfler said:

> > Yep. but, as I said, the test was executed with the VM off. It does
> > improve things but the problem still happens. Could it be our page_
> > writter holding a lock that is affecting memory allocations
> > everywhere?
> > This is just a guess, I did not look at the code yet but i am
> > getting
> > there. This is a really annoying problem and does not look well in
> > demos. :)
>
> I'm more worried about the real life performance, but anyway, I guess
> Ingo and I could have a look at that problem next week.

Well, although I used a synthetic test to reproduce it, this happens to
me all the time when heavy IO is involved so this is a bug that does
show with real life usage (specially considering, right now, Haiku is
basically an OS for developers).

In fact, I would not be surprised if the problems we have been
attributing to the scheduler (like audio skipping) is not somehow
related to it. if the problem  is really with memory allocations, that
could indeed be related.

Anyway, if you guys can take a look at it it would be great. I will let
you know if I find anything else.

-Bruno