[haiku-development] Re: RFC: DriveSetup BikeShed proposal 1

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:40:36 +0200

Alexander von Gluck wrote:
> Any thoughts on this different layout?
>
>  Disk->Format
> * Disk->Initialize->Intel Partition Map
> * Disk->Initialize->EFI GUID Partition Map
>  Disk->Eject
>  Disk->Surface Test
>
>  Partition->Create
> * Partition->Format->Intel Extended Partition (or leaving it Initialize->?)
> * Partition->Format->Be File System (or leaving it Initialize->?)
>  Partition->Delete
>  Partition->Mount

The disk system lists are auto-generated. It might not be trivial to
discriminate between the disk system for the partition map and the one for the
extended partition. That could be hard-coded, of course. The other than that,
the layout suggests that nesting of partitioning systems will no longer be
possible, since only the disk could be initialized with one of those. While it
isn't exactly a common use case, I would regret having no way at all to do that
at all.

CU, Ingo