[haiku-development] Re: RFC: DriveSetup BikeShed proposal 1

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 08:03:39 -0500

On 02.08.2012 11:40, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
Alexander von Gluck wrote:
Any thoughts on this different layout?

 Disk->Format
* Disk->Initialize->Intel Partition Map
* Disk->Initialize->EFI GUID Partition Map
 Disk->Eject
 Disk->Surface Test

 Partition->Create
* Partition->Format->Intel Extended Partition (or leaving it Initialize->?)
* Partition->Format->Be File System (or leaving it Initialize->?)
 Partition->Delete
 Partition->Mount

the layout suggests that nesting of partitioning systems will no longer be possible, since only the disk could be initialized with one of those. While it isn't exactly a
common use case, I would regret having no way at all to do that at all.

Nesting partition systems really doesn't make sense however. Given we fully support
Intel extended partitions, I really don't even see a use for this.

Either way, DriveSetup already has code in it to prevent nesting partition systems. :)

I'm thinking of removing the option to write a BFS filesystem to a raw disk (in the gui at least) I've seen count less you tube videos of people unknowingly formatting BFS
over a raw disk (which really isn't what they meant to do 100% of the time.

This doesn't *prevent* advanced users from doing this, it just forces them to use the
command line tools.

Thoughts?

 -- Alex